Pets - Fleas and ticks
Animal health involves preventing infestations with fleas, ticks and other external parasites.
Parasites are beings that survive at the expense of the host (other beings). External parasites attach themselves to the animal's skin or hair. These parasites are a threat to the animal's health and also to humans, as they are transmitters of diseases.
Types of external parasites
Fleas - Fleas are ectoparasites, which live on the animal's fur (cat or dog), feed exclusively on blood, mate and their eggs are laid on the ground where they hatch.
Ticks - Ticks lodge in grass and bushes, when in contact with the animal, they attach themselves to the areas where the skin is thinner and survive by feeding on its blood.
Transmission - Transmission occurs by direct or indirect contact with the skin or outer covering (hair or feathers), through a scratch, bite or tick bite.
The larvae and eggs, adhere to the fibres of carpets, upholstery, cushions, mattresses, rugs, and resist aspiration, hence the rapid spread of infestation.
Fleas can be ingested by the animal when it scratches itself and carry other parasites in the intestine.
Tick bites on humans and animals can cause tick fever through transmission of bacteria.
Prevention and animal care
- External deworming of the animal should begin between 6-8 weeks of age and should be done throughout the year, every year;
- Use deworming products such as: insecticide collars, shampoos, powders, sprays, bath solution or pipettes to be applied on the skin (spot-on) according to the age, weight and breed of the animal.
Prevention and care
- Wash hands after contact with the animal;
- Wear gloves when cleaning their habitat;
- Wash the animal's bed with hot water, bleach and detergent;
- Clean the animal's living area frequently, in the case of cats, change the litter box daily;
- Apply dewormer in powder or spray, on skirting boards, behind furniture and electrical appliances;
- Maintain good hygiene for yourself, your pet and the house
Consult your pharmacist and find out the most appropriate procedures and products to keep your pet away from fleas and ticks leading to its well-being and health.
Boletins I Saúde
Também lhe poderá interessar